- Commonly seen in mature dairy cows during peak lactation, often a herd issue.
- Higher concentrate/protein, low forage, mastitis, metritis , acidosis etc predispose.
- Occurs in sub-clinical, acute and chronic form.
- Rough irregular flooring , lack of enough lying space also predispose to the disease.
PREVENTION OF LAMINITIS
- Provide soft flooring.
- Provide balanced feed which includes sufficient forage.
- Practice foot bath using 5% copper sulphate for 2-4 days continuously every fortnight.
- Arrange for regular hoof trimming at least once in 6 months.
- Adequate lying space should be provided to avoid excessive standing.
- Check hoofs regularly for any injury and signs of laminitis.
Hoof care is essential especially in high yielders